Proximity International, LLC is a women-owned and women-led applied research firm specializing in monitoring, evaluation (M&E), research, and capacity building in fragile contexts. We work closely with the humanitarian and development community in order to fill critical knowledge gaps by providing independent assessments, research and data collection services to improve the targeting, accountability and impact of life-saving programs in conflict settings. Today, Proximity is a rapidly growing organization of talented and motivated researchers, analysts, and technical specialists with an expanding global portfolio.
The Syria Accountability and Research Team (ART) is a five-year technical assistance activity that serves as the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) platform for the United States Agency for International Development - Syria Stabilization Program (USAID). ART’s purpose is to increase USAID’s understanding of the programming and contextual updates in supported areas, in tandem with informing its decision making and future program design cycles through quality independent MEL data and timely research and analysis. ART’s technical assistance and deliverables span five (5) complimentary components, including: (a) Support Services to USAID; (b) Third Party Monitoring (TPM); (c) Research and Analysis (R&A); (d) Evaluations; and (e) MEL Capacity Building.
Terms of Reference & Scope of Work
ART is seeking to engage a fluent Arabic speaker with strong English-writing skills to support the team in Amman, Jordan. The successful candidate will have excellent written and spoken Arabic (dialect & formal), proficiency in written English, an interest in Syria and strong analytical skills. S/He will be engaged to work on different assignments under the R&E component, as outlined below:
• Conducting media monitoring of open-source Arabic news sites, social media pages and reports related to the Syrian conflict
• Summarizing media coverage of developments to the conflict, triangulating field findings with online media and mapping reported incidents geographically.
• Support regular and ad hoc research requests in line with an efficient research workflow and report turnaround
• Assist in drafting research reports and data visualization on assigned tasks, in line with ART data quality assurance guidelines
• Support in managing and updating ART’s knowledge management system to integrate data across primary, secondary and spatial data sources
• Ensuring that ART project's data is organized and coded so as to be easily accessible
• Any other tasks deemed necessary to successfully carry out research and analysis under Syria ART
• Holding a relevant degree (social sciences, political science, or other related degree)
• Strong writing skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Ability to read and summarize Arabic articles, social media posts and oral media.
• Fluency in both Arabic and English is required; capacity to write in, and proofread, English at a native level is required; capacity to conduct research in Arabic is required
• Familiarity with the Syria operating context and local conflict dynamics
• High level of detail orientation with an emphasis on precision and timeliness
• Highly organized, dependable and able to prioritize deadlines and proactively address problems as they arise
• The candidate must be a Jordanian National and currently lives in Jordan
Please send the following documents to ARTrecruitment@proximityinternational.com:
● Email subject: ART Research Intern - YOUR NAME● Cover Letter (max 250 words)● CV (max 3 pages)● Soonest available start date